In his latest blog post on The Active Pursuit, Tom Held reports that Mitchell Edge, 23, has been fined $1,311 for driving his tow truck into and killing Steven Rader, 47, last May. Regular readers may note this is the largest fine we have seen in recent years for an inattentive driver who kills someone riding a bike. But whether the fine is $180 or $1,300, giving someone a traffic ticket and a fine for killing someone doesn’t seem like justice or much of a deterrent to inattentive driving.
If our Vulnerable Users Law was in place when Edge killed Rader, he might be facing a Class A misdemeanor criminal charge that comes with a $10,000 fine and up to 9 months in jail. The Bike Fed has been working with Sen. Luther Olson (R-Ripon) and Rep. Gary Beis (R-Sister Bay) to draft our Vulnerable User Law. The bill has already had hearings before the Assembly and Senate Committees on Transportation, and we have heard rumors that it might move out of committee for a vote by the legislature in early January.
If you are represented by any of the committee members below, it would be helpful for you to contact them and ask that they pass the bill on for a vote by the full Assembly or Senate.
If you don’t know who your state legislators are, you can find that out by entering your home address on this page.
For the Senate, ask that they approve 2013 Senate Bill 307 (sb307)
- Senator Petrowski (Chair) R-Marathon
- Senator Leibham (Vice-Chair) R-Sheboygan
- Senator Cowles R-Green Bay
- Senator Carpenter D-Milwaukee
- Senator Hansen D-Green Bay
For the Assembly, ask that they approve 2013 Assembly Bill 388 (ab388)
- Representative Ripp (Chair) R-Lodi
- Representative Thiesfeldt (Vice-Chair) R-Fond du Lac
- Representative Spiros R-Marshfield
- Representative Ott R-Forest Junction
- Representative Sanfelippo R- West Allis
- Representative Endsley R-Sheboygan
- Representative Larson R-Colfax
- Representative Kaufert R-Neenah
- Representative Bernard Schaber R-Appleton
- Representative Vruwink D- Milladore
- Representative Doyle D-Onalaska
- Representative Danou D-Trempealeau
- Representative Riemer D-Milwaukee
- Representative Kolste D-Janesville