The Bike Fed operates the Valid Bike Shop out of North Division High School. The shop maintains the bicycle fleet used for the Safe Routes to School (SRTS) program, a partnership with Milwaukee Public Schools. Through the repair of this fleet, Valid also engages youth from the community, teaching them job readiness skills through bike repair.
- Open Shop – Wednesdays from 5 – 8 pm: Valid’s Open Shop is available to middle and high school students to learn bike repair and participate in the Earn-a-Bike program. Students who invest 12 or more hours at Valid are eligible to receive a bike from the shop. Participants under 18 must have a permission slip signed by a parent or guardian prior to participation. Permission slips are available here or at North Division H.S.
- Volunteer Shop – Tuesdays & Thursdays from 11-4: Valid is always seeking moderate to experienced volunteer mechanics to assist with SRTS bike fleet repair. In exchange, volunteers will earn time in the shop for personal projects. Please contact Ben Schultz if you’re interested.
Bike Donations and Drives
We welcome the donation of any bicycle, and encourage people to contact us (see below) regarding ideas or support for a bike drive in your community.
The Valid Bike Shop can steer bike donations toward any of three objectives:
- To maintain a fleet of approximately 225 bikes necessary to serve the SRTS program.
- To give bikes to students who participate in and complete the Earn-a-Bike program.
- To sell used, refurbished bikes to the public, the proceeds from which go to further the current programs and growth of the Valid Bike Shop.
Types of bikes needed:
- For the SRTS bike fleet and the Earn-a-Bike program:
- BMX 20″ wheeled bikes, boys’ and girls’ styles
- MTN bike 24″ wheeled bikes, boys’ and girls’ styles
- Smaller sized 26″ wheeled MTN bikes in 13″-16″ frames, boys’ and girls’ style
- For our used bike program: We will gladly accept any adult bike (road, mountain, cyclocross, BMX, etc.) that is not a department store bike and is decent condition.
News & Updates
If you live in the general Milwaukee area, donations can be dropped off at one of the two locations listed below. Please call or email us ahead of time so that we may schedule to meet and assist you.
- Wisconsin Bike Fed – Milwaukee Office
3618 W. Pierce Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215
Phone: (414) 431-1798
- Valid Bike Shop
1011 W. Center Street
Milwaukee, WI 53215