Bicycles are good for businesses — from the bottom line to the corporate boardroom.
From small mom-and-pop storefronts on traditional main streets to large employers in office parks, businesses have been seeing huge benefits from offering incentives to their employees and customers to arrive by bike.
- People who commute by bike cost 72% less to insure than people who drive.
- People who bike to work tend to be more productive employees.
- Customers who arrive by bicycle free up limited parking spaces for cars in retail areas. Many businesses are trading one customer for 10 by converting single-car parking spaces into on-street bike corrals that can accommodate 10 or more bicycles.
- People who bike tend to be very loyal to businesses that offer discounts to customers who arrive by bike.
- Cycling may even become the new golf, as business-networking rides are becoming more popular.
- Small towns and urban commercial districts have seen boosts in tourism and retail spending after installing trails networks, bike lanes and bicycle parking.
Business Membership Benefits
When you become an organizational member of the Wisconsin Bike Fed, our staff can help improve conditions for bicycling at your workplace. Whether you are a business owner, employee or customer, the staff at the Bike Fed is able to assist with:
- Free Bicycling Made Easy lunchtime presentation to employees
- Free bicycle safety materials and maps
- Bike Fed sticker for the front door to identify the business as a bike-friendly member
- Site assessment for bike parking
- Start-up bicycle action committee
- Organization of Bike to Work Week events
- Wisconsin Bike Challenge participation
- Bicycle Friendly Business applications
- Incentive programs and pre-tax bicycle commuter benefit programs
- Networking opportunities with other area bicycle-friendly business leaders