The Wisconsin Bike Fed is seeking a full-time professional to serve as Government Affairs Manager.
Ideally located in Madison, WI, the Government Affairs Manager reports to the Executive Director and advocates for the legislative agenda of the Wisconsin Bike Fed. The ideal candidate exercises sound judgment and thrives in diverse work environments. They are also highly organized, outgoing, and comfortable working in a fast-paced environment. The Bike Fed is one of the largest statewide bicycle advocacy organizations in the country. This is a great opportunity for a highly motivated, professional and creative individual to help grow the bicycle advocacy movement.
• Lead development and proactive implementation of the Wisconsin Bike Fed’s legislative and infrastructure priority projects in partnership with senior staff and the Board of Directors.
• Serve as staff liaison to the Bike Fed’s Council of Advocates and convene quarterly zoom meetings.
• Analyze proposed and adopted legislation and actions from federal, statewide and local governmental bodies to determine and summarize fiscal and policy implications for bicycling in Wisconsin.
• Monitor and routinely report on federal, state, and local legislation that impacts bicycling and make recommendations.
• Serve as a member of the Bike Fed’s Legislative committee and provide monthly written and verbal reports to the Board and Bike Fed members with updates on legislative developments and accomplishments.
• Engage in drafting Action Alerts to Bike Fed members and contribute to Bike Fed media platforms including website, e-newsletter, social media and annual Ride Guide Magazine.
• Support the Board and Bike Fed staff in building and strengthening relationships with local and state partners, including legislators, local elected officials, state agencies and leadership of aligned organizations.
• Some travel between the State Capitol in Madison, Bike Fed offices in Milwaukee and other Wisconsin communities to attend and participate in legislative meetings.
• Prepare and present testimonies before governmental bodies that represent the interests of the Bike Fed.
• Register as a lobbyist and manage Bike Fed lobbying regulation and reporting requirements.
• Must share a passion for Wisconsin Bike Fed Mission and Vision
• Minimum educational attainment: Bachelor’s Degree
• Minimum work experience: three to five years serving in local, state, or federal governments, lobbying on behalf of organizational interests, or working in a related field. Familiarity with and knowledge of Wisconsin governments preferred.
• Ability to prioritize assignments, work independently, and respond quickly within a dynamic environment.
• Exceptional verbal and written communication skills.
• Basic computer skills: Google Suite, Microsoft Suite, (WordPress is a bonus)
• Demonstrable aptitude for organization and time-management.
• A valid driver’s license and access to an insured vehicle. Ride share or rental is ok. Car ownership not required.
Monday through Friday with some sporadic weekends and evenings. Occasionally will require travel within the state.
Sitting for prolonged periods, typing on a computer keyboard, lifting objects of 25 pounds or less
Computer, audio-visual systems, printer/copier.
$50,000-$60,000, commensurate with experience
Low employee co-pays for health & dental insurance, up to 3% of annual wages matched in a SIMPLE IRA account, and generous paid time off.
To apply, send a cover letter with salary requirements and resume to firstname.lastname@example.org with name and position applied for in the subject line by November 15, 2022.
The Wisconsin Bike Fed is an Equal Opportunity Employer. It is our policy to make all personnel decisions without discriminating on the basis of race, color, creed, religion, sex, physical disability, mental disability, age, marital status, sexual orientation, citizenship status, national or ethnic origin and any other protected status.